Safety Tips for Bicycle Riders
- Talk with your children about bike helmet and bike safety.
- Set a good example -- always wear a helmet every time and everywhere you ride a bike.
- Help kids get into the “helmet habit.” Make helmets a regular part of the biking experience. And let your child help choose the helmet, explaining that it is just part of the required equipment as for playing hockey, soccer or football.
- Make sure bike helmets fit properly -- snug but comfortable.
- Praise your child for wearing the helmet and following safe biking rules.
- Bicycles are vehicles. Children should not ride bikes in the road until they fully understand traffic rules and show they can follow them.