What Can be Done to Prevent CO Poisoning?
Preventing CO poisoning is a matter or following these rules. It can prevent a tragedy for you and your family.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors with audible alarms - install one near the sleeping area. For added protection, install a second monitor at least 15 feet from a furnace.
- Have a professional check all venting systems annually for proper safety.
- Have your combustion appliances (stoves, heaters) checked.
- Never leave a car running in a garage. The carbon monoxide from the car’s exhaust can enter the home - even if the garage door is open.
- Never use oven or gas ranges for heating purposes.
- Never use fuel-burning appliances, like a barbecue grill, in a confined area such as the garage or basement.
- Never burn charcoal inside your home, cabin, recreation vehicle or tent.